Sunday, November 12, 2006

Birth Story Part 1

Okay, so Isabella's birth and pregnancy was pretty normal for a first baby, so I decided that I would share with the few of you who read this Zachs journey!

So, I am one of those people who have no problem getting pregnant. After going to the hospital in late March to see a friend and her new bundle, I decided I was ready to have number two. It took Chris a bit to warm up to the idea, but I always win. Timing was off because mother nature decided to make a visit that day. So by the middle of April I was pregnant. I was going to my mother's for a family birthday party and figured I would check just in case because I wanted to have a drink there. And of course, positive. So we prepped Isabella on what to say. So we went over and Isabella told everyone, Mommy's having a baby and I'm gonna be a big sister.

At six weeks I started spotting a little, which I didn't get too hung up on because the same thing happened on Isabella and she was fine. So that continued for 3 weeks and 2 trips to hospital. They kept saying that my hormone levels were still increasing, so everything was ok. Then one day I started to bleed. I went to the hospital and after more blood work, they said the same, but the scheduled a ultrasound for two days time. That was fine too, so I stopped worrying. And this may seem like a lead up to something bad, but no. Everything was fine. I worked up until 5 weeks before I was due. My sciatic nerve started acting up. Being on my feet for 9 hours a day was not helping. Dr. O'Shea thought that it would be better if I went off. So I did. During the next 5 weeks until my due date (December 31), I barely slept at night. I would be up at all hours wishing that every tweak would be the start, or every time I would get up my water would break like it did with Bella. No sir! I would play Pyramids all night and chew ice cubes. I couldn't eat them when Chris was up because the sound made him crazy.

I had weekly visits with my doctor and this point. I made him root around every time to see if that would get things moving. I would go shopping after to see if the pressure would break my water. Christmas was my biggest worry. I didn't want to tbe in the hospital while Isabella was supposed to be opening her gifts. But that day went by with nothing. Then New Years at Moms we were saying how cool it would be to be the first baby. So I went home hoping, but again - NOTHING!!! SO I had my biophysical on the 6th and they put me on the induction list. They did an internal at that point and told me what I already new. His head was right there, could touch it, I was 3 centimeters and 40 % effaced. Woo Hoo, but not in labor. He had a big head and they estimated him at 8 pounds 8 ounces. So with a 10% margin of error, he was going to be at least 8 pounds up to 9 pounds. Ok. Freak Out!!!

I went home and bragged to everyone that he was big and that I was now on the list. Hoping that I would go on my own and half expecting a call any minute, I wouldn't leave the house. I told the nurses to call anytime, even during the night. So they never called that Friday, or that Saturday. Chris went out to bring his work truck in to the warehouse because he was taking time off for the baby. About 10 minutes after he left, 9:10 at night, the hospital called for me to get induced. They said to get there soon in case more people came in naturally. So I called Chris and told him to turn around, called mom and told her to get here soon and told my stepfather (father) he had to watch Isabella until Chris's brother got here.

Off we go to the hospital. Got checked by the doctor on call. My doctor isn't an OB. He is a GP who delivers, so he was getting updates and would come when the time was near to catch the baby. I was still 3 cm and 40%. She figured the best form of induction would be to break my water and go from there.

That's it for now......Tune in soon for part two - labor and disappointment.


Alisha Ferguson said...

okay...that is so funny that you ate ice cubes too! That is the only thing that I ate...I loved them so much. I think I would go thru 10-15 trays of them a day. It drove Wes crazy at first (the chewing sound)but it didn't take long til he got used to it! I would go to bed with a cup full, and he would have a cup full waiting for me when I woke up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shandelle, I was reading your labour story. Very interesting! I can't wait for part 2. What is this about eating ice cubes? I never heard of that. Then again.....I'm finding out that there's LOTS of stuff that I didn't know when I had my kids. I do remember that Tammy ate a lot of ice cubes when she was a teenager and the doctor told us that it was a sign of low iron....and BOY did she have low iron!! Anyway, only 3 more days and they will be here. I may see you sometime during their visit. Feel free to drop by.

Tammy & Jeremy said...

Looking forward to the second chapter of the story!

We leave 8pm tomorrow night so we arrive in St. John's at 12pm on Wednesday. RED EYE...oh what fun!

I will call you when I get a chance. Hugs...Tammy